When someone passes away, their memory can live on through words etched into a headstone. Of all the grave marker materials available, granite comes highly recommended by those in the memorial industry. In fact, granite headstones and monuments have been used for centuries to memorialize people, and for good reason: this hard rock offers numerous qualities.
Whether you are pre-planning your own funeral or a family member making the final arrangements for a loved one, you should learn about this very popular memorial material. So, why is granite used for headstones in Walterboro, SC? Here are some of its most attractive characteristics:
- Granite is hard: The tight crystalline structure of granite means it’s an incredibly hard stone. Thanks to its hardness, a granite headstone will last hundreds of years outside in the elements. It also means it is less likely to shatter into a bunch of pieces if knocked over by high winds or a tree drops a branch on it. Additionally, granite headstones hold strong against curious animals.
- Granite is durable: Granite is a very durable rock. It can withstand the harshest of weather conditions and potentially damaging contaminants in the outside air, as well as hold up to regular cleaning and care. Not too long ago, marble and sandstone were the top choices for permanent monuments, but while these are pretty materials, most older headstones are now mostly or completely illegible. They’ve been whipped by wind, sand and debris over the decades. This is the type of damage granite can withstand for centuries while still remaining legible.
- Granite can be polished: The best monument makers in the business have the knowledge, skills and tools required to polish granite headstones. The result is a beautiful, glassy surface that seems to magically enhance the stone’s natural color and details. However, a polished granite surface also doubles as a layer of protection for the rock. The polish creates a barrier between the weather and the pores of the granite and reinforces the material’s ability to hold strong in harsh weather conditions. Finally, polishing extends the life of the headstone.
- Granite can be shaped: Sculpting granite is not as easy as working with marble, but it’s well worth the extra effort and expense. A professional stone sculptor can shape the granite into a figure or carve designs right onto your monument. Want a customized design for your monument? No problem! Granite can be formed into a number of unique shapes, so let your creativity go wild.
- Granite is naturally beautiful: Granite is one of the loveliest natural stone materials used for headstones. It’s readily available all over the world while remaining diverse in color and markings. Customize your or your loved one’s headstone as much or as little as you want—it will look beautiful either way.
If you would like more information about granite headstones in Walterboro, SC, look no further than the experts at Steedley Monument Works. Let our compassionate staff talk you through this decision when you are ready.