Bronze memorials are a very popular option for commemorating people who have passed away. Bronze is a beautiful material known for its durability and longevity, but it’s still important to invest time into maintenance to keep bronze memorials in the best condition possible. If you’re unsure about how to clean bronze memorials in Walterboro, SC, keep reading for some helpful tips for maintenance and cleaning.
How to clean bronze memorials in Walterboro, SC
Knowing how to properly clean a bronze memorial is a useful skill to have. Over time, cleaning a bronze memorial will improve its longevity and minimize the appearance wear and tear. All it takes is a few simple steps to clean a bronze memorial effectively and get it looking like new:
- Apply a mild soap: The first step in cleaning your memorial is to apply a mild cleaning solution. A mild dish soap diluted with water is an effective option to clean your memorial. Using a spray bottle, apply the cleaning solution liberally, making sure that the entire surface of the memorial is covered.
- Wipe away dirt and debris: After applying your cleaning solution, use a soft, clean cloth to wipe down the memorial. Apply pressure to any parts of your memorial with caked-on dirt or mud, and use more of the cleaning solution as needed to cut through especially tough stains.
- Scrub the memorial: If the memorial you are cleaning is particularly dirty, scrub the bronze after you’ve finished wiping it down. Use a cleaning product that’s specifically made for cleaning bronze and scrub the memorial with a soft-bristled brush. Avoid using brushes or tools that are too abrasive, since these can leave scratches in the surface of the memorial.
- Dry the memorial: After you’ve finished cleaning and scrubbing the memorial, use a clean, dry cloth to dry it completely. Make sure that the memorial has been rinsed of thoroughly before you begin drying it off. Inspect the memorial after it’s dried for any residual grime or dirt.
- Use wax: Finally, use a thin layer of wax on the bronze memorial to protect the surface from the elements. Use a wax detailer to buff the wax onto the surface of the memorial.
Chemicals to avoid on bronze memorials in Walterboro, SC
There are several chemicals to avoid using on bronze memorials in Walterboro, SC. Products like bleach, window cleaners or any cleaning solutions that are acidic or harsh can seriously damage a bronze memorial. Gentle cleaners and specialty cleaning products are much more effective at cleaning bronze, and they won’t cause any damage to the memorial.
If you want to find out more about bronze memorial preservation and restoration, reach out to Steedley Monument Works. We specialize in creating monuments and memorials, and provide customized services that are designed to meet the precise needs of each of our clients. Regardless of what your specific needs may be, our team is here to assist you. Find out more about everything we have to offer by giving us a call or stopping by our showroom.