Cremation recently surpassed burial as the more popular option for people planning their funerals and estates, primarily because it saves a whole lot of money. However, there are a variety of other benefits associated with cremation that have helped it to grow significantly in popularity in recent years.
It is important to note that personal preference and religion can often influence a person’s choice as to whether they’ll be buried or cremated, and people who are put in charge of the burial or cremation are often bound by their loved one’s wishes.
However, there are a lot of reasons why cremation is getting more heavily promoted and recommended to people in today’s modern society. Here are a few examples:
- Technological advancements: New technological advancements have allowed modern cremation equipment to become much more efficient, getting the job done within a matter of hours and in a more energy efficient way than ever before.
- Cost effective: Direct cremations are typically much more cost-effective than burials, because there’s no embalming or display of the body. In addition, you can keep the remains of the body in alternative, smaller containers like cremation urns in Walterboro, SC, as opposed to a larger, traditional and often expensive casket.
- Save space: People are becoming more mindful about the space taken up by traditional cemeteries and burial plots around the world. Cremation obviously results in a lot less space being taken up by the remains, because there’s no need to dedicate a burial plot.
- Flexibility: People don’t tend to live as close to their families as they once did, so it can be difficult to organize burial plots for people who want to be buried in the standard way if their families are spread out all over the place. Cremation offers much more flexibility with regard to memorialization, because the cremated remains can be stored in a cremation urn and either displayed at home, scattered on land or water, placed in a small burial plot or columbarium or placed in a crypt in a mausoleum. If you need to move somewhere, you can take the remains of the deceased with you, something that is not possible with burial.
- Fast: We already mentioned that some upgrades to the technology used for cremation have made it a more efficient practice than ever before. But the speed with which cremation can be accomplished is beneficial in other ways, too. For the loved ones left behind, it can be ideal to get through the process as quickly as possible. Cremation is efficient and a source of much less stress and hassle in a time where there is going to be a lot of stress to deal with. Cremation may help family members to get through the grieving process more easily.
If you’re interested in learning more about when selecting cremation may be the best option for you, we encourage you to contact Steedley Monument Works today with any questions you have about the process, or about selecting cremation urns in Walterboro, SC.