You will notice a pattern when walking through any graveyard from any century. What you will see is that many of the headstones and monuments are made of the natural stone granite. In fact, people from all around the world choose granite for their loved one’s cemetery headstones or other grave markers. Let’s take a closer look at why people gravitate toward granite monuments in Walterboro, SC:
- It’s very durable: Unlike other types of natural stone, granite does not erode easily. Granite does not shatter, stain or deteriorate like marble, sandstone or slate, which is why it is the ideal stone material to create beautiful outdoor memorials. The fact that granite can last centuries means the engravings on it will, too. However, while true granite is resistant to natural discoloration and deterioration from season to season, weathering can occur depending on the composition of the stone, the temperature and its exposure to moisture.
- It’s a hard stone: A tight crystalline structure is what makes granite such an extremely hard stone. Since you want your memorial to last as long as possible, structural hardness is a good quality to have in a headstone or grave marker. Since it’s such a hard material, you can worry less about damage due to things like falling branches, strong winds or curious wildlife.
- It’s aesthetically pleasing: Granite is beautiful as-is, and that’s a good thing since granite stone is available in a variety of natural shades. For instance, most granite contains flecks of gray, gold, green or blue, depending on the minerals present in your particular cut of stone. Granite is typically cut directly from various quarry beds in different locations, meaning no two gravestones will ever be exactly the same.
- It can be shaped: Although sculpting granite is not as easy as marble, it is often still the preferred choice for headstones and other outdoor cemetery monuments. This stone can be shaped into all sorts of unique forms, including the actual shape of the headstone, etched images and engravings. You’re spending time and money, so get creative with your loved one’s custom monument.
- It is easy to maintain: Another reason why granite is ideal is that it’s easy to maintain. If things accumulate on the surface, like bird droppings, moss, tree sap or hard water, you can clean it yourself. Simply use a spray bottle to apply a mix of distilled water and a mild dishwashing soap, then wipe away using a clean cloth or soft brush.
- It can have a polished appearance: Most people want a loved one’s grave marker to look beautiful at all times. The way to do this is to keep it polished. Polishing granite draws out all the natural colors and details within the stone, but polishing also serves as a layer of protection for the piece of granite. With the right tools or the help of a professional, any granite headstone can have a beautiful, glassy polish.
For more information about granite monuments in Walterboro, SC, contact the team at Steedley Monument Works.