Steedley Monument Works is proud to announce that we are celebrating our 50th anniversary in 2018! We are pleased to be the premier provider of monuments and granite headstones in Walterboro, SC and look forward to offering another 50 years of quality service.
Our decades of experience have made us experts in assisting you in selecting monuments to memorialize your loved one. One of our biggest areas of expertise involves the headstone buying process. We’ve put together some key tips on what you should know before purchasing a headstone:
- Consider selecting a monument before it’s needed: Having the responsibility of selecting a headstone or other monument for a family member or friend can feel overwhelming on top of the emotions a person is likely already feeling. Selecting and purchasing a headstone in advance will take some of the stress away from your children or other family members. In addition, pre-planning your specific desires for a monument or grave marker can eliminate the expenses for your family and allow you to make a decision that fully reflects your wishes.
- Look at examples before you purchase: If you’re not sure what type of headstone to purchase, walk around a cemetery and observe different headstones and grave markers. Do you like a particular size of headstone best? Does the idea of an inscription resonate with you?
- Know that the lettering may lighten: It is not uncommon for any lettering that appears on a headstone to become lighter over time, especially if it is frequently exposed to dampness. You can try to avoid having your headstone placed beneath a tree so that any fading that does occur is not quite as significant.
- Be familiar with the cemetery’s rules: Each cemetery has policies and rules regarding the types and sizes of monuments permissible on its grounds. Make sure you are familiar with the rules of the cemetery you have chosen before purchasing a headstone. While some cemeteries don’t have any rules regarding size or type of headstone, other cemeteries may only allow larger monuments or very basic monuments, such as flat markers.
- Remember to maintain the monument: If you want to keep a grave marker or other type of monument as nice looking as possible, you’ll want to stop by regularly to perform some basic cleaning. For a granite or marble monument, you can use soap and water, but be sure to avoid waxes or oils, as these may stain the stone.
Whether you’re ready to research your options for granite headstones in Walterboro, SC now or in the near future, we hope this advice has been useful in breaking down the headstone purchasing process.
In addition to providing important tips about the monument purchasing process, Steedley Monument Works offers a wide array of products and services. We have recently tripled our product selection, so you’re sure to find exactly what you’re looking for.
When you visit our indoor showroom and outdoor display area, you can choose from burial headstones, granite benches, statues, plaques and more. We can also provide a variety of services, such as laser etching, shape carving and sand blasting. Call or come by today to find out more about our high-quality products and fair prices!