Choosing a headstone for yourself or a loved one is a personal experience that involves many important decisions. When designing a headstone, you’ll want to make sure the finished product pays tribute the person who has passed, and serves as a beautiful place for surviving family and friends to visit. While it may seem daunting at first, choosing burial headstones in Walterboro, SC can be accomplished through a few simple steps. The following are five key tips to consider when purchasing a headstone:
- Ask about different headstone types: There are countless variations of headstones available. Upright headstones are the most common type, and feature a tall stone that stands with its bottom edge on the ground. This type can also be extended to accompany a long stone that lies horizontally. Additionally, flat headstones – also called markers – lie on the ground and face up toward the sky. Finally, custom memorials can be used to
provide a marked resting place for cremation remains.
- Know the differences between stones’ materials: Each type of headstone material offers different advantages. The most commonly used material in headstone design is granite, as it is durable, cost effective and comes in an assortment of colors. Limestone offers a uniquely polished surface, but isn’t as durable as granite and will weather over time. Some headstones are crafted in marble, which provides a beautiful finish but can be extremely delicate. Finally, bronze can be shaped into a striking, long-lasting headstone,
though it usually has a slightly elevated cost.
- Remember the details: Once you have selected the headstone style, don’t forget to ask
about additional design options. For example, some headstones may be available in different finishes that give a high gloss or matte look. You can also add a photograph or etching to the headstone that conveys what your loved one was passionate about in life. Also, you’ll want to consider different fonts, and choose a style that reflects the look and
feel of the headstone’s design.
- Pick a meaningful inscription: One of the most important and memorable parts of any headstone is its engraving. When choosing an epitaph, it is best to keep the text both short and sweet. This will make the lettering larger and more legible, and will also deepen its meaning. You can choose poetry, phrases, scriptures and more to be featured on the headstone. Most of all, it is important that the inscription reflects the beliefs and lifestyle
of those it is meant to represent.
- Work with a professional: The easiest way to reduce apprehension over selecting burial headstones in Walterboro, SC is to work with a knowledgeable professional who can guide you through the process. Experts will be able to present you with information pertaining to your choices and ensure your design is a worthy memorial.
Headstones exist in numerous different sizes and shapes, but understanding the major types available can help you decide which is best for your needs. If you would like to know more about how to choose a headstone for your loved one, consult the trusted professionals at Steedley Monument Works today